- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rinse lentils in cold water several times before adding to cooking pot. In a medium-size cooking pot, add lentils and water and boil for about 30 minutes.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Add cloves, salt, and pepper and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Now add buckwheat , mix well and just bring to boil. Adjust seasonings to taste. Remove and discard cloves before serving.